Saturday, November 5, 2011

Friends and family make all the difference in life.

"Among those whom I like or admire, I can find no common denominator. But among those whom I love, I can: All of them make me laugh."
-W.H. Auden

Everyone goes through trauma in their lives, be it the loss of a loved one or an unexpected crisis. During these times, you don't know how you will ever see the sun again, since your world is filled with gloom.

Six months ago, my entire world literally crashed down on me. Not that it had been perfect before the incident, but like most people, I had though in the weeks before it happened that I was already at the limit for my stress level. When life kicks you in the gut, it's an overwhelming urge to give up. But even during those first dark days, I could laugh at the horror and irony of the timing and the situation. See, I thought I was already IN the difficult part, and I was literally one day away from what I thought would solve all my problems. The truth is, that when I look back at all the stress I had, it was meaningless compared to what I had to endure. And then I looked at my situation, and realized that the majority of the world was still worse off than me.

The first time I was able to laugh through my tears was a breakthrough and moment of self-actualization that I would be okay.

In our darkest moments, we find out quickly and harshly who is in our life for the right reasons. Not because they hope to gain something from you, but because they genuinely love you.
This is the most powerful thing.

I find myself financially strapped at times, and then still find ways to make ends meet. I have money for an emergency. But then I see a man outside Walmart, ringing a bell for the Salvation Army. He was dressed in shabby clothing, looking homeless himself, freezing in the cold to raise money for others who are like him, or worse off. I put the item I was going to buy back on the shelf. A candle, that cost $12. I took the money, and gave it to the man, but I also took him a warm cup of coffee.

We always want more for ourselves. But maybe if we gave a little more of what we do have, it will brighten someones day.

And sometimes the grateful smile of a stranger is all it takes to give you the warm feeling inside that can undo some of life's wrongs.

No comments:

Post a Comment