Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Free-spirited HR/Recruiter, available to talk your ear off available!

Seriously, interviewing drives me batty.

I have had over 30 phone interviews, 9 face to faces, and more this week.
Why does it take 4 people at the same company to interview me? Either you like me or you don't.

And of course, the offers first to roll in are the companies I like least. So it makes me neurotic that I will have to settle for something I don't want.

Job interviews are sales. You sell yourself like a hooker. Or like when you're dating.

I do it backwards. I tell them how great I am, what I bring to the table, that I am good for office morale due to my wit, and then I tell them that I will take all my vacation time and not work at the office more than 40 hours a week. So if it's an issue, it's not a fit.

At my age and level of experience, I know what I want and what I don't want. The company is interviewing for me, just as I interview for them.

Two questions I always ask, are "tell me why I would want to work for your company" and " what are three characteristics of someone who is successful in this role".

They love when you ask questions, and most people have a hard time with that, since they want to know the compensation and benefits. But I like to turn the table and make them sell me on why I should take the job. It shows I'm not disparate, even if I am, and that I know my value. With less experienced recruiters and hiring managers, it's easy to run your own interview.

All I can say is that my feet hurt from so much walking. I am limping around the house after walking around the city for two days, and I will be doing it again the next two days.

I hope this is over by Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment