Monday, November 8, 2010

Plastic Surgery: My Tummy Tuck

So, lots of people have asked me about my tummy tuck. What was it like? Did it hurt? Was it expensive? etc……So I guess I will just tell you my story, because I’m not really shy and if you ask me about it in person, I will totally try to show you my scar like a proud 4 year old.

About two years ago, right before my 10 year high school reunion, I was feeling pretty down about myself. I had made it through having two children and didn’t gain a ton of weight. But then I moved to Alaska and gained about 80 lbs in 6 months when I was 21 years old. Over the years, I struggled with gaining and losing weight. In reality, I always will. I had always wanted a tummy tuck, even when I was thin in high school. I never had a flat stomach….my gut was almost like a pet. It was always there. So as my high school reunion neared, I decided that I was going to go to a consultation and at least get the info.

I went to Chattahoochee Valley Plastic Surgery in Columbus, GA and saw Dr. Naman. A girl I knew had gotten her boobs done there, and they looked amazing. Dr. Naman graduated from Princeton and worked at the Mayo Clinic. If you are going to get plastic surgery, please check out your doctor. This person could completely screw you up!

I went in, discussed why I wanted a tummy tuck and my expectations. After discussing pricing (which was $4500) I walked out with an appointment for the following Monday to have my surgery. Now you can pay cash for surgery, or most plastic surgeons will finance them, like a car. The cost was what had made me wait so long to decide to move forward with this, because I felt guilty spending that much on myself.
I went in the day of my appointment, they knocked me out, and about 3 hours later, I woke up. I was groggy and tired, but not really in any pain. They stitched my abs back together because if you have kids, pregnancy often separates the muscles, making the wall sag. The stitches inside, I could feel if I breathed too hard or coughed. The incision didn’t hurt at all because when they open you up, they detach the nerve endings.

For the next 10 days, I had to walk bending over and constantly slather Neosporin over my incision so it would stay moist and heal with minimal scarring, which it did pretty quickly. I had to lie in bed with a pillow under my knees and slightly sitting up, but the painkillers they give you knock you out, so you still sleep. I took a week off work, but probably should have taken about 10 days. You wear a big Ace bandage around your stomach for a month. It helps the scar tissue form tighter around your abdomen.

A month later I was at my high school reunion, and everyone probably thought I had gotten implants rather than a tummy tuck, since I was pretty flat-chested until I had my kids. The money I spent was well worth the cost and the minimal discomfort I was in. I don’t ever feel like I look horrible now. I have days that are better than others, but I never want to just give up on myself. My husband has told me that if he knew what a big difference it would make for my self-esteem, he would have let me do it years ago!

Please feel free to ask me any other questions you might have about this topic.


Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network
submit to reddit

23 comments:

  1. Good for you, that's a great story!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I'm from Georgia as well, do you ever hear the radio commercials for the "Mommy Makeover" and did you ever consider that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, SLM!

    OurMarriageAdventure...No I never heard those. What is it? I am in upstate NY right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Keri:
    Yeah for you! I bet it certainly gives great self esteem. I need one yet cost is a factor for me at this point in life (almost 62). But one day I too look forward to having one.
    Take care
    carole

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with you about checking out your doc before hand. I had surgery on my jaw/chin to correct an open bite and luckily, everything came out looking fantastic. My aunt's sister had the same surgery and she looked terrible. The doc actually had to go back in and remove some of the stuff he did, but the damage was already done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! thanks for sharing this! I've always been very curious about the process and you answered a lot of question.

    ps. thanks for checking out my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Carole, Mrs. Mootz and Elizabeth! Thanks for your comments and following us.
    I wasn't sure if I wanted to put it completely out there, but I have had so many questions, and it's a part of me now...so at least I can offer what it is like. I am neither pro nor con plastic surgery. I believe you should do what makes you feel like the best you possible! Keep checking us out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got a tummy tuck and boob job a few months ago and I love it. I have four boys and gained 60 with each of them. It had created a HUGE saggy front butt. I'm Mormon so I wasn't sure how my church friends would feel about it. I say do what makes you happy! Anyway, I'll enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yancey, I need my boobs lifted up. They are soon going to make a belt around my middle, and then I will need a SECOND tummy tuck!! I agree, do what makes you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all the discussion...plastic surgery is not unheard of in the recent times as many are opting for it for wither medical or beautification purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your story is truly inspiring! Self-esteem, to every person, is very important! Beauty surgeries like tummy tuck might be a good tool for bringing back the confidence of a woman. Well, you may suffer a bit of pain, but you it's worth it, because you'll achieve the flat abs that you've been dreaming of. I'm glad that you're satisfied with the results of your tummy tuck.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tummy Exercises To reduce tummy fat, you should give your stomach area a lot of attention. Exercising your abdominal muscles can advice you build firmer abs. If you body muscles, this can advice you bake added calories and abate abdomen fat.

    Tummy tuck

    ReplyDelete
  13. Keri, I love your confidence! And I think that’s how it should really be. You don’t tell your tummy tuck experience to every person you meet, but when asked, you proudly answer. :) It’s a part of you now, though I still don’t understand why there are people who deny such. Anyway, how’s your tummy now? Regular exercise and skin care matched with a healthy diet will be great in helping maintain your firmer abdomen. ;)

    Geoffrey Lelia

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi my name is Kim and your blog helped me make my decision to use Dr. Naman..thanks :}

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have a really interesting story. Personally, now I'm more decided to go for a tummy tuck procedure in Toronto, because my belly skin looks awful and saggy... I don't like it at all, so I must do something to get rid of this annoying problem and I'm sure that this will help me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. There are plenty of women who- while looking in the mirror- may feel that they are not having the best of bodily features. We all want to look better and hence come the necessity of these plastic surgeries. However, the problem is that even if you drop a significant amount of weight here, the skin and muscle in the area just is not going to lie perfectly. If you want to get back the lower abdomen that you used to have, the best way to do this may be through an abdominoplasty. The fact that not all of us weren’t gifted with the best of physical attires can be a big reason for many women to opt for these kinds of plastic surgeries but here I will tell you mostly about those who specifically need a tummy tuck.

    Tummy Tuck Surgery in Los Angeles

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tummy tuck is one of the best plastic surgery method that will help to lose some extra pound in tummy area.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What is the best thing to wear right after Tummy tuck surgery?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love meeting people like you because I can really feel the dedication that you have in order to achieve the kind of figure that you want. You can't achieve a great body by going through surgeries alone. Of course, you should also make an effort. After the treatment, it is now your turn to keep a healthy body. Do your best to maintain your good shape!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's good to know that the result has helped you a lot. It's definitely worth the pain and blowing the cash if the result will improve a lot on your perception about yourself. I'm happy that the surgery has caused you to rebuild your self-esteem. Now all you have to do is to maintain your shape and stay fit. Thank you for sharing your story. =)

    Terry Bayer

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love to know about tummy tuck surgery and your live experience.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Keri, glad to have read this blog! This is really informative and would benefit those who are planning to have a tummy tuck . This is very handy for those who have little or no idea what a tummy tuck is.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello Keri, Thanks for sharing your story about tummy tuck. I will be happy if you share your idea about it. Thanks and keep it up...

    ReplyDelete