Friday, November 12, 2010

What I heard: Amazon sells "How to" guide to Pedophilia

Last night as I watched CNN, I saw a story on Amazon.com and how they are under fire for selling not one, but MULTIPLE books on the subject of Pedophilia, and I just had to throw my two cents in. I watch the news more than most people I know, and if I hadn't heard about it until now, chances are that others haven't either. The main book under question is basically a "how to" guide for people who "live that lifestyle" and, as the books author states on the cover, "This is my attempt to make pedophile situations safer for those juveniles that find themselves involved in them, by establishing certain rules for these adults to follow. I hope to achieve this by appealing to the better nature of pedosexuals, with hope that their doing so will result in less hatred and perhaps lighter sentences should they ever be caught."

I will not give this author more notariaty by mentioning either his name or the name of the book. But I can tell you that I will not be shopping from Amazon.com anytime soon. I believe in the First Amendment, however I do not believe that means that a national retailer needs to sell that book. I think it's irresponsible and disgusting that they would give this author a platform in which to peddle his crazy. It actually hit the Amazon Bestseller's List!!! When it comes to subjects that are encouraging a reader to do something illegal and harmful to children, the retailer has a duty to use common sense over "Freedom of Speech". I am definitely not a "book banner", but there comes a time to make a choice between profits and integrity and this is why I am outraged. Shame on you, Amazon.

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network
submit to reddit

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I had No idea and it's inexcusable and disgusting. I'm joining with you...I will ask my family not to shop on amazon until this is resolved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a hot topic in the blogosphere right now. I just left this comment over at another blog so I'm going to copy and paste it to yours. Here's my two cents...

    Personally, I'm not looking at this from a legal perspective. Most of us "mommy bloggers" are seeing this from our "mommy perspectives." Cut to the chase of all the legal jaron and BS (that's Amazon's problem to worry about), I'm a mom and seeing anyone write literature (if you want to call it that, it's more like vile crap!) about how to hurt and molest a child is the most repulsive thing imaginable. There are a lot of cruel and unspeakable crimes in this world, but in my eyes, the molestation of innocent children is the ultimate crime.

    Is anyone aware that this piece of puke, in a phone interview, maintained that he didn't advocate "penetration"? "You can't do that with a child, but fondling and kissing I don't think is that big of a problem." Are you effin kidding me right now? That's lewd and lascivious behavior. I'm sorry I don't care what Constitutional Amendment protects you. If you think kissing and fondling a child is okay (probably because you've more than likely have commited this crime), and you publicly state that, that should be probable cause enough to have a swarm of FBI agents on your doorstep pounding to get in with a search warrant and confiscate every piece of photographic and writing material you own!

    Amazon, even though they maintained they were upholding this person's First Amendment right, it think it is nothing short of dispicable bussiness sense. What about the rights of poor innocent children being prayed upon? What kind of ecommerce world do we live in where sick perverted people are easily purchasing this how-to book? Maybe closet pedophile's were afraid to commit such heinous acts before, but hey, now they have a step by step manual that instructs them how to hurt a child and get away with it. Where do these businesses draw the line? Who's helping to protect our children? It could be my child, it could be your child. It could be any one of our children who becomes a potential target from the publication and profit of this book. Dispicable!

    Give me a break Amazon! Shame on you. You're sorry lame a#@ excuse doesn't hold water with me. I'm not sure I will ever get over this. I don't think I'll be purchasing anything from Amazon any time soon. And I wanted a Kindle for Christmas :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly sickened by this. I had NO idea! UGH. I too wanted a kindle for Christmas and am an avid Amazon shopper. Disgusting that there is a publisher out there who would help this author edit and re edit, etc. Also, sad and distraught at the millions of copies being read. SICK!

    ReplyDelete