Monday, October 1, 2012

Ancient Aliens

Maybe it's because it's 2012, and I secretly want the world to turn in to utter chaos so I don't have to work anymore, but I spent the latter part of Friday night watching that "Ancient Aliens" show on H2, and it's facinating. When you match up all of the documentation left by cave drawings, religious accounts and actual texts, they all experienced similar things that could've easily been translated in to "God-like" entities that were really aliens. Even some theological scholars can't dispute that this could've really happened. I mean, I guess when it comes don't to it, isn't more intelligent to say it's a possibility, rather than a non-possibility? Nothing exists to disprove the theory, so on a scientific level, you could say it was possible. But I will say, that they need to find people who don't look so nutso to convey their ideas because the people that they show all look somewhat scary and not so trust-worthy, which is half their battle in appealing to general audiences. I don't know..I found it interesting anyway...much more so than the typical crap to watch, like "Here comes Honey-Boo-Boo." What the hell is that crap, anyway? An ugly, redneck toddler with one tag-line gets her own show on TLC because she competes in pageants, which is a gross negligence of spending money for when you're poor in the first place? And don't look at me like that, because she is not an attractive child, and NO beauty is NOT in the eye of the beholder!!! Some kids are just ugly. I get why TLC has given shows to the "Little People" because they actually are interesting to watch and get a point of view from. I get wanting to watch polygamists, as that's an interesting dynamic as well, and frankly, I miss my "Big Love" on HBO. But why on earth would they put this family on tv? We already have plenty of shows on rednecks, like "Hillbilly Handfishing" and "Dumbest Criminals Caught on Tape". Yes, I admit to watching pretty much all that Bravo has to offer, but at least it's interesting. I can get down with watching spoiled psuedo-rich women having cat-fights, because they are rich and get to do things that I can't. I feel like I have a handful of decent sitcoms or dramas to watch, but not many. There is a new end of the world one on Monday nights, "Revolution"...but I am so screwed because it's made by the same damn people who brought us "Lost" which I dedicated my television viewing to for all of the seasons only to have it "blue ball" me with a piece of crap ending. So I know that I am commiting to this series ONLY because I love end of the world crap, and I will likely end up highly unsatisfied when they reveal why the power is out, which will probably take 2 more seasons to uncover. My brain needs decent stimulation! And when it's not getting enough of it, I am left to "Say yes to the Dress" and "Dance Moms" or HGTV, and after the past 2 years of solidly watching and recording every episode of "House Hunters International", I am just irritated that I can't move to a foreign country and then nit-pick about upgraded fixtures with my $300/month rental budget. I am so bored.

2 comments:

  1. i don't know, keri, that honey boo-boo is pretty funny! i think the thing that appeals to people is that the people are really "real." that is the way they are and the way they live. it is just kind of refreshing to see people living their lives and not being "scripted." yes, sometimes they are gross, but it is just pure entertainment! AND, of all families, isn't it ironic that the new baby has 2 thumbs on one hand!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't agree that any reality show is totally unscripted. It is entertaining..but why? Because these people are sad. It's a sad statement of poverty and poor education. And now this family is making money from TLC to appear on this show, they will stop earning a living, and come to rely on it, and then where will it leave them when America gets tired of it? I feel like it's entertaining because we're laughing at them, not at some great humor. We're laughing at them in a mean way. Even this new deformed baby...they all look inbred. I just find it a little bit beneath myself as a person, not to judge myself as "better" than them, but "better" to not watch and make fun of their sad lives. I would rather watch a show about people succeeding through life's challenges, rather than laugh at the poor targets of a bad idea for a reality show.

    ReplyDelete